Saturday 31 March 2012

Should The Lord's Prayer Be Taught In School?

So the Archbishop of Canterbury would like to see The Lord's Prayer introduced into more schools. I learnt it in the C of E school I was brought up in and a quick survey of my kids who have gone to the same school know it and they say it nearly every day at school.

At first my thoughts on this was it would only be appropriate for it to be on the agenda at a Church school, but actually I think we should be trying to promote our heritage as a Christian land in all schools, that is not to say we only focus on Christianity, but certainly give it good airtime.  The basis of the Christian religion is love & forgiveness, I can't believe any parent would be against that being taught to their children.

Dr Rowan Williams says  "I'd like to see schools introducing children to the Lord's Prayer, so that they know that it's there, they know what it means and know why it matters. Then they may make up their minds about whether they use it."

That doesn't sound too harmful does it? He's not wanting to insist they believe it or face eternal damnation, just here's something that means a lot to a lot of people.
Having said all that, I was taught it and I must admit when I'm in Church and someone says now let's all recite The Lord's Prayer my first thought is "please put up the words!" There's just something about it that makes me always want to say the 'lead us not into temptaion' bit before the 'forgive us our sins' bit.  Which probably doesn't matter so long as you say it all and mean it, but you look like a bit of a plum when you are saying something different to everyone else!

And shamefully, I couldn't off the top of my head tell you where to find it in the Bible; I want to say Psalm 23 but I know it's not that, I think that's The Lord's My Shepherd one?

So there you have it, I was taught it, can't confidently recite it, and without looking it up don't know where to find it!  You know what, God'll forgive me for it and still loves me anyway!

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever.
Amen.

Were you taught it and do you think it should be taught now?

No comments:

Post a Comment