Wednesday 25 May 2011

Resolving Conflict

Week Three

Bangers, Mash, Peas & Gravy followed by Trifle.........did not see that coming.

relationshipcentral.org/marriage-course.

Must admit, I found it hard to keep focused last night, despite having had a two hour nap in the afternoon, I still felt exhausted and my mind was elsewhere.  Will share a few gems with you though.

A couple that had been married for 50 years had not let a day go by without having an argument.  On their anniversary their children were struggling to think what to buy them, in the end they settled on paying for them to see a marriage psychiatrist. 

The couple reluctantly turned up to the first appointment, the psychatrist asked them one question which immediately set them off arguing and they continued to argue for 30 mins.

Then the psychatrist told them, "I'm going to do something now, I've never done before".  He got up from his chair and walked around the desk to the couple, stood up in front of the woman and proceeded to kiss her directly on the lips for a very......long........time.

He turned to the husband and said "that's what your wife needs, 3 times a week"

The husband replied "OK Dr, I see, I'll bring her in on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's"

In our marriage we both agree we don't really argue and there aren't really any conflict issues, we generally just get on well.  What I am finding difficult with doing this course is I don't really feel we fit the mould. 

We're both skirting around the issue that nearly split us up last year, because that has been dealt with in a different way, but when you're told to tell each other what they do that upsets, hurts or frustrates you, I can only seem to come back to the thing we've dealt with, which may mean it hasn't been dealt with. 

I want to be strong enough to complete the course, the truth is we both think our marriage is in a completely different place now, dare I say it, a better place.  God has been a true restorer, there is a lot of work to do, which my counsellor is helping with, but we are definately moving forwards.

Oh, and I am a Rhino and hubby is a Hedgehog, and if you want to know what that means, you'll have to persuade your Church to run the course!

3 comments:

  1. oh boy....in our relationship, I am the Hedgehog and Hubs is the Rhino!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an interesting course, actually. Praise the Lord you've been able to benefit from it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. Prayers for Tuesday's 'forgiveness' session doesn't go pear shaped - unless that's the pudding of course!

    ReplyDelete