Saturday 28 April 2012

Stop That, It's Silly.

A couple of years ago, someone very kindly told me I reminded them of the Black Knight in the Monty Python film The Holy Grail! No, I hadn't been involved in a sword fight and lost all my limbs, but I was involved in a battle - a battle within myself in which I couldn't at that time accept I needed help.

It was quite obvious to those around me that I was struggling, but I was insisting to everyone "I'm alright" my close friends began to accept that as code for "I'm far from alright, but I can't possibly admit that, because it will reveal me to be an obvious failure and a worthless individual, so please, help me"
Anyway, I was reminded of this comparison this week because Hubby and I went to the Theatre, dahling, for his birthday to see 'Spamalot' the stage production of the Holy Grail, which I would highly recommend if you're a Python fan, if not you'll just find it 'silly'!
The poor old Black Knight has every limb chopped off and insists there's nothing wrong it's just a flesh wound, he's had worse, it'll heal etc. to the bemusement of King Arthur who can clearly see he is fatally injured and has in fact lost that particular battle.  He simply will not accept he's defeated.
God does not expect or want us to deal with life's struggles on our own, we simply aren't made that way, we need the companion and compassion of others in order to survive
Psalm 55:22 ESV
Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.
Galations 6;2 ESV
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Whatever circumstances you find yourself in today, if you are telling yourself and others that you are 'alright, it's nothing, I can deal with it', be honest with yourself and with God and if you need the help of someone around you who loves you, accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment