Sunday 19 February 2012

This Doesn't Happen In Our Town........Until Now

I hope I'm doing the right thing with this post and it's not seen as sensationalising a tragedy.  But I feel blogging, for me, is about posting  what's current to me, whether it's my thoughts on a Bible passage or podcast or things of a religious nature that are making the news.

If you live in the UK, you cannot have missed that Rev John Suddards was tragically murdered in his home, The Vicarage, in the town where I live.

The week has unfolded and hopefully now they have the right man in custody.  There have been Police and journalists all over the town, and every time you hear the whir of the Police helicopter blades you are reminded of what you were trying to forget about.

My children go to the Church school, so they were just getting to know him, it was lovely to hear the things some of my friends children had remembered about him and I thought it would be nice to include those quotes in this post:

"My sons have all said he was kind and friendly and are stunned.  They know that he loved God and that he is now in heaven with him which is enough for them. My youngest son said it will be nicer for him there as he won't have to live on his own anymore which brought a tear to my eye".

"I remember him telling us stories about God and enjoyed working with him on the assembly team".

"When Father John did school assemblies they were more fun".

"My son is devastated, sobbed for over an hour.....He encouraged him so much with his organ playing".

"In the short time John had been with us, he very quickly became a much loved and respected member of our school community"

John 16:33 ESV
"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

No-one can answer the many questions surrounding this week - least of all me!  But we can know whatever evil prevails in this world, the victory has already been won, by Jesus.

It was wrong, it should not have happened, but it did.  That is the nature of a sinful world.

We are fortunate we live in a very safe area and I'm sure it will return to that way again, but I realise that all over the UK there are places where stabbings and murders and crimes barely get a mention on the news because they are so frequent, this is also wrong and should not happen, but it does.

Jesus has overcome, we mustn't live in fear, and when He returns the world will be as it was intended by God; sinless and perfect.

Matthew 6:9-13 (NKJV)
9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Tragic indeed. Thanks for posting this, I think it was certainly the right thing to do. The children's memories are so positive.

    I used to live in Bristol and my oldest daughter lived in Chipping Sodbury for a while, so I'm familiar with Thornbury. My thoughts and prayers remain with all of you there at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, it was the children's comments that I thought should be heard. It has been a shocking time for everyone here, but the kids who had probably got to know him better than many of us have been so mature and sensitive, as parents we're all very proud of them.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't seen the news - it must have been a shock for you all. I think you have a great take on it though - our hope that one day the world will be sinless. That's what I usually come back to when I see or hear of things that horrify me, as it is such a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really shocking, we're fortunate to be in a very low crime rate town. Sin is no respector of statistics, it creeps in everywhere!

      Delete